Internal Competitive Research Grants
The University of Georgia Research Foundation (UGARF) funds competitive internal grants to support initial work by early career faculty and research in new areas of endeavor. It also supports travel to foreign conferences and symposia.
Faculty Research Seed Grants
Provides “seed money” in two separate competitions in support of research and scholarship by faculty. All programs utilize the same guidelines and application. Also, be sure to read the Tips for FRG Applicants. The Willson Center also provides “seed money” for research clusters. Separate guidelines and application are available at the Willson Center.
- Junior Faculty Research Grants in Sciences
- Applied Life Sciences
- Basic Life Sciences
- Physical & Mathematical Sciences
- Professional & Applied Sciences
- Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Willson Center for Humanities and Arts
- Junior and Senior Faculty Grants
- Research Clusters (guidelines and application at willson.uga.edu)
- Deadlines: Both the Sciences and the Humanities and Arts (including research clusters): First Tuesday in February (These awards will now be on a fiscal year cycle instead of a calendar year cycle. Awarded grants start July 1.)
- Eligibility: Sciences FRGs are designed for early career faculty (instructors, assistant professors and assistant research scientists); Willson CHA grants fund junior and senior faculty as well as research clusters.
- Amounts: Average grants are in the $3,000 - $10,000 range for faculty research grants. Grants for Willson Center Research Clusters are for up to $25,000 with the budget renewed for two additional years from subsequent funding, pending program review and approval of the annual budget by OVPR and the UGARF Board.
- Detailed Guidelines (UGARF guidelines for faculty seed grant competitions)
- Tips for FRG Applicants
- Faculty Research Grant Budget Template
- Report Form
- Project Request Form
- Resulting External Funding Form
Foreign Travel Assistance Program
Provides assistance in the form of round-trip airfare for travel to foreign destinations specifically to participate in conferences for faculty and graduate students through a competitive process.
- Deadlines: Normally, second Tuesdays in January, March, June and October.
- Eligibility: Faculty members, research professionals, postdoctoral associates, and graduate students are eligible. All Adjunct professors and Non-UGA paid employees are ineligible.
- Amount: The lowest round-trip airfare available
- Detailed Guidelines
Cultivar Development Research Program
Provides grant support to researchers in the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences to promote the development of new plant cultivars.
- Deadline: First Wednesday in October
- Eligibility: Full and part-time faculty, USDA adjunct positions, and permanent research scientists in the University's "Research Professionals" classification system. Visiting faculty and postdoctoral research associates are ineligible.
- Amount: No upper limit, however funding proposals with large budgets (above $60,000) must have unusually strong justification.
- Contact: Technology Commercialization Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal Funding Assistance
Internal funding assistance may be available for needs such as bridge funding or support for conferences held on the UGA campus. Each request is considered on an individual basis and is reviewed according to the benefits to UGA research and availability of funds. To submit a request, please use the Funding Request Form and submit electronically to email@example.com.